- The use of gas foams for mobility and conformance control has been proven in a number of field demonstrations and commercial operations. The use of foams in SAGD, however, has been held back for two reasons: First, there are currently are no commercially available surfactants that have been shown to create stable foam at 250 C, and second, the methods for testing these materials in porous media are expensive, cumbersome, and prone to technical issues.This talk will focus on combining the next generation of visualization and characterization tools with novel chemistry from Stepan designed to withstand the extreme conditions of SAGD production. Utilizing the Interface Fluidics “Visualize-F” foam characterization system, we have demonstrated a method for accurate and replicable reproductions of in-situ conditions. This platform allows for tight control of variables, short experimental runtimes, and most importantly, provides the ability to see the chemical and physical changes in the reservoir in real time. Stepan Oilfield Solutions’ new foaming agents used in this study are the culmination of more than two years of development, and are capable of creating steam foams at 250 C. Together these technologies paint a bright future for the next generation of thermal recovery technologies in the development of the Canadian Oil Sands.
– Introduction of Stepan & Interface Fluidics
– Discussion of Reservoir-on-a-Chip & chip design for foam diversion
– Discussion of surfactant properties/delivery
– Results & conclusion
– Open discussion
Founded in 2015, and operating a lab at the National Institute for Nanotechnology in Edmonton, Interface Fluidics has designed our microfluidic Reservoir-on-a-Chip technology to be the fastest, most accurate, and most repeatable method to control variables and measure the pore-scale characteristics and behaviour of fluids under reservoir relevant conditions (temperature, pressure, wettability). Interface works with chemistry suppliers and oil and gas producers to implement new production technologies faster, with lower risk.
Stepan Oilfield Solutions, a market vertical within Stepan Company (founded 1932) is a global leader in oilfield surfactants for both conventional and unconventional oil and gas recovery applications. Our R&D Center of Excellence is located in Houston, TX, with a dedicated team to support the global energy market. Stepan Oilfield Solutions offers both components and formulations into the Upstream sector, covering Drilling, Cementing, Completions, Hydraulic Fracturing, Production, and IOR/EOR technologies.
Who Should Attend
• Technology Directors, managers and advisors
• Petroleum Engineering Supervisors and Engineers
• Oil and Gas Operating Companies
• Service and Supply Companies
• Petroleum Technology Innovators and Developers
• Government Policy advisors and regulators
• Experienced professionals interested in learning about new technologies
11:30 AM Registration and Lunch
12:00 PM Presentation and Discussion
1:00 PM Adjournment
PTAC Member – Free
Non-Member – $50.00
PTAC Member – $25.00
Non-Member – $75.00
*Unsure as to whether your organization is a PTAC member? Have a look at current member listing.